Appointments for Minnesota Driver’s Licenses and ID cards
Our Customer Service department offers appointments for Minnesota driver’s license and identification card renewals, replacements due to a name change, an address change or if your card was lost or stolen. All driver's license and identification card transactions are required to schedule an appointment for service.
Things you can do to add to the success of your appointment
- Any name change: You must update your name with Social Security prior to scheduling an appointment. Make sure to bring your certified name change documents to your appointment.
- New or returning resident to Minnesota: you are required to pass the knowledge (written) exam before applying for a MN license. We are not an exam office and do not offer any testing at this location.
Obtaining your instruction permit is the first step to becoming a licensed Minnesota driver. The permit is valid for two years of practice driving with a licensed driver sitting in the front passenger seat. It is illegal to practice driving without a valid instruction permit. When you drive, you must have your instruction permit with you. Please see the Minnesota Driver's manual for a complete list of laws and rules.
- Be at least 15 years old
- Have completed 30 hours of classroom instruction and enrollment in behind-the-wheel instruction
- If you are 18 or older, classroom and behind-the-wheel instruction is not required
- Pass a vision screening and knowledge (written) test
We are not a testing station
Click here to get information on testing sites MN DVS Locations
Real ID update
REAL ID Federal Enforcement Deadline Extended to May 3, 2023
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security is extending the REAL ID full enforcement deadline to May 3, 2023. The deadline was previously set for later this year.
"Protecting the health, safety, and security of our communities is our top priority," said DHS Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas. "As our country continues to recover from the COVID-19 pandemic, extending the REAL ID full enforcement deadline will give states needed time to reopen their driver's licensing operations and ensure their residents can obtain a REAL ID-compliant license or identification card."
Beginning May 3, 2023, Minnesotans will not be able to use their standard driver's license to board domestic flights or enter federal facilities. Instead, they will need a REAL ID, enhanced driver's license or ID card, passport or passport card or another acceptable form of identification for federal purposes.