Pay Charges & Fees
What does Scott County Library charge for?
- Daily Overdue Late Fines - No More! As March 1, 2022, Scott County Library no longer charges daily late fines for overdue materials. Customers are still responsible for late fines and balances incurred before 2022.
- Replacement Costs: Customers are responsible for the replacement costs of unreturned or lost items. An item is considered unreturned 21 days after its due date.
- Printing & Copying: All SCL locations resumed charging for prints and copies in 2023. The cost is 10 cents per side for Black & White pages, and 50 cents per side for Color pages.
What can I use if my account is blocked?
Customers with more than $25 in charges on their account are limited to only using in-library services (programs, computers, WiFi, meeting rooms) and borrowing from the eLibrary. An item is considered unreturned 21 days after its due date.
- Cash or Check: Visit your SCL location to pay in person with cash or check.
- Credit or Debit Card (Online or App Only): We offer a convenient, secure online option to process credit and debit card transactions through our Catalog & My Account site or our mobile app (see below). Click the "My Account" button and use your library card number and PIN to sign in.
- Mobile App: Download our app "Scott Lib MN" from your app store to conveniently manage your library account from your phone. Sign in with your library card number and PIN to take advantage of the same secure payment option we offer through the catalog.
For security reasons, credit card payments can only be taken online. To protect your privacy, credit card payment are not accepted over the phone and library staff are not allowed to enter credit card information.
What to Know about Paying Online
You have the option to pay library charges of $1.00 or more online with your credit or debit card.
- Partial Payments Accepted: You can pay in full or partial payments, but any payment must be at least $1.00. Payments will be applied to the oldest charges first.
- No Convenience Fees: You will not be charged any additional fees for paying with your credit card.
- Secure Transactions: To protect your information, we use a separate website with an encryption certificate. Your credit card information is not stored by SCL.
- Payments made through our Catalog & My Account page or our Mobile App will appear as "PP*Scott County Library 952-4968010 MN" on your statement.
- I forgot my PIN number. How can I change or reset it?
If you’ve forgotten your PIN and have an email on file, visit our Catalog & My Account page to start the process. If you don't see the reset email immediately, be sure to check your email's SPAM or junk folder. If you don't have an email on file with us, you can also change your PIN by contacting staff at any Scott County Library.
- How do I see what I have checked out?
Managing your checkouts is easier than ever with the "Scott Lib (MN)" mobile app! Sign in your library card and PIN to see your checkouts, search for materials, place holds, check your account balance, pay fines, and more.
- I returned an item but it’s still on showing on my account OR I received an overdue notice. Why is that? Will I be charged late fines?
If you return an item on a weekend or later in the day, you may not see the item cleared from your account until our next business day. Depending on timing, it's possible you may also receive an overdue notice, which you may disregard. if the item was returned. For additional assistance, please contact the SCL branch where you returned the item so staff can search for it.
Scott County Library no longer charges daily overdue late fines (as of March 2022), but we do bill library users for unreturned or damaged items. An item is marked as unreturned in our system 21 days after its due date.
- Do you charge daily overdue late fines?
No, we do not charge daily overdue late fines. As of March 1, 2022, Scott County Library is permanently fine free. However, customers will continue to be responsible for previously accrued fines (before 2022) and bills for unreturned (missing or lost) and damaged items. An item is marked "unreturned" in our system 21 days after its original due date. Payment options are available online and in person. If you have questions about your account, please contact your SCL branch so we can help.
- My account is blocked and I can't check out more physical items. Why is that?
We've implemented system blocks to help remind customers to return items. If your account has accrued a balance greater than $25.00 due to unreturned items that have incurred a bill, you won't be able to check out additional physical items. An item is marked as unreturned by our system 21 days after its final due date.
Customers with blocked accounts can still borrow eBooks and use services located inside the library like Wi-Fi, meeting rooms, computers, printers, and copiers.
- I lost an item, how can I pay for it?
Thanks for letting us know, it happens! First, call or email your library so we can mark the item as "lost" in our system and update your account. (Make sure to provide us your card number.) You can pay balances with a credit or debit card anytime through our Catalog & My Account page or our mobile app, which is available on both iOS and Android. We can also accept cash or checks at any SCL branch during staffed hours.