CH 42 & TH 13 Intersection Improvements
- Construction Year: 2018
- Community: City of Prior Lake and Savage
- Corridor Served: CH 42
- Project Lead: Scott County
- Contractor: S.M. Hentges & Sons
- Start Date: April 9, 2018
- Anticipated Completion Date: June 2019
Traffic Control Changes:
Mon, April 22nd
Project will begin construction on CSAH 42 to prepare subgrade and pour stamped concrete in the Center Median. Grading to begin on CSAH 42 from 13 to Quebec with concrete starting Tues, April 23rd.
Traffic control will consist of the following lane closures:
- Inside lanes of CSAH 42 East and Westbound from West of Harbor Hills to Louisiana Avenue
- Left turn lane from Eastbound 42 to Northbound Rutgers St NE
- Left inside turn lane from Eastbound 42 to TH 13 Northbound
- LTL Eastbound 42 to Northbound Quebec Ave
- Left inside Turn Lane westbound 42 to southbound TH13
- Left inside Turn lane Southbound TH13 to Eastbound 42
- Left Inside Turn lane northbound TH13 to Westbound 42
- LTL Westbound 42 to Southbound Rutgers
Construction Progress/Schedules: Final paving will be completed late spring/ early summer 2019.
This project will install dual left turn lanes on CH 42, install permanent signals on CH 42/TH 13 and CH 42/Quebec, road surfacing and install trail/sidewalk.
Purpose & Justification
Traffic studies conducted with developments in the northeast and southeast quadrants of CH 42 and TH 13 identified unacceptable levels of service.
Past Project Information:Due to current conditions and the weather forecast the project we will be wrapping up work for this season. To finish up the project about 6-8 weeks of intermittent lane closures next season.
Weather, both locally and nationally delayed the project start date. Unseasonably cold and snowy weather locally has delayed excavation due to Spring load limits on the roads. Hurricanes on the east coast have created shortages and delays in getting electrical components needed to complete the construction of a new substation in Savage. The lack of the new substation means the power lines along CH 42 cannot be deactivated which is necessary to facilitate construction.
These unforeseeable delays have forced Scott County, City of Prior Lake and City of Savage to formulate a new project staging plan. Several alternative plans have been presented, discussed and reviewed; the New Staging Plan was chosen to allow construction to continue with consideration of time, cost and safety.