HHW Frequently Asked Questions
The majority of televisions are $10 each for residents of Scott, Carver, Dakota, Hennepin, LeSueur, Ramsey, Sibley, and Washington Counties.
Large console and rear projection TVs are $20 each, and CRT TVs and picture tubes with electronics removed are $30 each.
$10 -- Flat screen and CRT TVs and Monitors
$20 -- Large console and rear projection TVs
$30 -- CRT without electronics and plain picture tubes
The Scott County HHW accepts household appliances for a fee of $10 each from residents of Scott, Carver, Dakota, LeSeuer, and Sibley Counties. However, additional fees apply for commercial appliances, as well as ammonia (gas) appliances.
Examples of accepted household appliances
- DE-humidifiers (Regular Humidifiers are considered a garbage item and are not accepted at the HHW)
- Water Softeners
- Water Heaters
- Stove/ Stove Tops
- Air Conditioning units
Commercial Appliances- $2/cubic foot (Length x Width x Height)
- Restaurant Appliances
- Branded refrigerators (Pepsi, etc.)
- Ammonia Air Conditioner - $800
- Ammonia (Specialty, RV/Gas < 4 ft.) - $150
- Ammonia (Specialty, RV/Gas > 4 ft.) - $300
The Scott County HHW accepts treadmills for a $25 fee. Cash, Check or Credit Card is accepted
Most types of tires are accepted at the Scott County HHW. For large quantities of tires, please call 952-496-8787.
MMCD (Metropolitan Mosquito Control) does pick up large quantities of tires off rim free of charge (some restrictions apply). They can be reached at 651-645-9149
Tire Disposal Pricing
Small Trailer Tires
Lawn and Garden Tires
On or Off Rim (no split rims) $5.00 Commercial
19.5, 20.5, 22.5 Rim Tires
Small Ag Tires
On or Off Rim (no split rims) $15.00 Tractor Tires
Rear Tractor Tires
Front Wheel Assist
Off Rim $50
- Lawn Mowers
We accept all sizes of lawn mowers, including riding lawn mowers free of charge if fluids have been drained. They must be drained of gasoline and oil at time of drop-off or we will charge a $5-$10 assistance fee to drain them (depending on size).
- Humidifiers & De-Humidifiers
If you are unsure if you have a de-humidifier or humidifier, please bring it to the Scott County HHW so we can give direction on how to properly dispose of it.
- De-humidifiers are an appliance that must be recycled. They are accepted at the Scott County HHW for $10 each.
- Humidifiers are not currently recyclable and can be placed with your household garbage.
The Scott County HHW currently accepts flattened cardboard at no cost. However, there are several options throughout the county to get rid of large quantities of cardboard at little to no cost. Some disposal options for cardboard are listed below:
- Buckingham Companies - Prior Lake - 5980 Credit River Rd. - (952) 226-6444
24 Hour Drop-off Sites:
- 401 Rice St. S - Jordan (Mini-Met baseball field)
- 27252 Helena Blvd - New Prague (Lakers NPS)
Gasoline should be brought to the HHW facility only in approved containers. We have the ability to empty the containers for you, and give you the containers back. Please note this could take up to 5-10 minutes depending on quantity of gasoline and how busy the facility is at the time of drop-off.
- Fluorescent Light Ballasts/Fixtures
The ballasts inside fluorescent bulb fixtures can also be a hazardous waste. We accept the fluorescent bulbs, the ballasts as well as the fixture for scrap metal. However, we would prefer the ballast (which is a small black box inside the fluorescent light fixture) was removed from the fixture before arriving at the HHW. This saves us valuable staff time having to remove the ballasts from each of the light fixtures.
- Coffee Makers/Keurigs
Coffee makers and Keurigs are not currently recyclable and can be placed in your household garbage.
- Plastic Bags
The Scott County HHW does accept plastic bags for recycling. You can also recycle your plastic bags at one of the following locations:
- Mattresses - Not Accepted
The Scott County HHW does not accept mattresses. However, there are several locations that accept mattresses and box springs in and around Scott County. Fees may apply.
- Dem-Con Landfill - Shakopee
- Buckingham Companies - Prior Lake
- Certified Recycling - Burnsville
- Bridging (Nonprofit Donation) - Bloomington
- Furniture - Not Accepted
The Scott County HHW does not accept furniture. You can dispose of furniture at one of these locations for a fee.
Burnsville Sanitary Landfill 2650 West Cliff Road, Burnsville (952) 890-3248 Buckingham Companies 5980 Credit River Rd SE (952) 226-6441 Certified Recycling 14305 Ewing Ave, Burnsville (952) 894-1448 Dem-Con Landfill 3601 West 130th St. Shakopee (952) 445-5755 Bridging Bloomington (www.Bridging.org)
- Storm Doors - Not Accepted
Metal storm doors are generally lined with wood, and therefore cannot be accepted as scrap metal. The wood, combined with the glass on most doors makes them a solid waste item, and not a candidate for metal recycling. Here are two alternatives available in the area (fees may apply):
- Buckingham Companies - 5980 Credit River Road, Prior Lake - 952-226-6444
- Dem-Con Companies - 3601 West 130th Street, Shakopee - 952-445-5755
- Wood Disposal - Not Accepted
Treated wood is not accepted at the Scott County HHW, but can be disposed at one of the following locations:
- Buckingham Companies - 5980 Credit River Rd, Prior Lake - (952) 226-6444
- Burnsville Landfill - 2650 Cliff Road, Burnsville - (952) 894-4807
- Dem- Con Landfill - 13020 Dem-Con Drive, Shakopee - (952) 445-5755
- Elk River Landfill - 22460 Hwy 169, Elk River - (763) 44-2464
- Pine Bend Landfill- 2495 117th St. E, Inver Grove Heights (651) 457-2778
- Media: DVD/CD's (Accepted) & VCR tapes (Not Accepted)
The Scott County HHW accepts media in the form of DVD's, CD's, video games, and floppy disks. However, VCR tapes, and regular cassette tapes are not currently recyclable and can be placed in your household garbage.
- Household Garbage & Recycling - Not Accepted
Scott County HHW does not accept household garbage or co-mingled recycling. This can be picked up at the curb at your residence. If you have large amounts of recycling, it can be brought to one of the following locations:
Buckingham Companies Accepts- co-mingled recycling 5980 Credit River Road, Prior Lake (952) 226-6444 Dem-Con Companies Accepts -MSW/garbage, construction and demolition debris, scrap metal, appliances, e-waste, mattresses, furniture, and concrete.
Does not accept co-mingled recycling
3230 West 130th St. Shakopee (952) 445-5755
- Styrofoam (Polystyrene) - Not Accepted
Styrofoam or Polystyrene is not currently recyclable in Minnesota. This may change in the future but as of now it is considered a garbage item and can be placed in your household garbage.
- Yard Furniture - Only Metal Accepted
The Scott County HHW accepts metal yard furniture as scrap metal. Plastic yard furniture would be considered a garbage item and is not accepted at the Scott County HHW.