Summer Reading 2021
Celebrate a season of reading with Summer Spotlight:
Saturday, June 5 – Saturday, August 28, 2021
For ages birth - 18
Read, learn, create, and enjoy at home or at the library this summer. The libraries are open extended hours starting 6/1. Visit the COVID-19 page for current information on library services.
What's New for 2021
- Summer Spotlight booklets: Pick up your age-specific four-page activity booklet with reading log in the library beginning June 1st.
Ages birth - 5 booklet
Ages 6-11 booklet
Ages 12-18 booklet
500-book/5000-page, Choose Your Own Adventure challenge
- Weekly To-Go activity pickups: Visit your library to pick up a different family, kid, or teen projects each week (while supplies last).
- In-Person events and programs: Visit our online events calendar to view all our in-person and virtual programs, including Outdoor Library: Programs in the Parks, Live By Appointment Candy Land, Ten Pigs, & Escape Heist games in the libraries, and more!
- Checkout programs: Now you can have a library event in your own home! These kits contain activities found in some of our popular programs including Escape 1985 and Dogman backpacks and early literacy Take Home Play Kits.
- Bonus Book Week: Complete the coupon in your Summer Spotlight booklet and bring it to your local Scott County Library between July 6-17th to pick out a free bonus book. Earn a second free book by completing your Summer Spotlight Reading Challenge.
What's Returning for 2021
- Weekly videos: Enjoy new videos featuring library staff, community guests, and your favorite performers. We'll have stories, science, music, dance and more this summer. Check our events calendar weekly for featured content.
- Online reading log option for all ages: Hosted by Beanstack, you can use Summer Spotlight Online to track your reading. Stay motivated with virtual badges and compete along side your family to earn up to two free books.
Why ParticipateEngaging in reading and learning activities this summer will get your kids ready for school in the fall. Summer Spotlight features fun and educational screen-free and real life activities.
Download and Print .pdf copies of some of our favorite To-Go activities. New activities added regularly!
- Read & Create: Me in the World Activity Sheet
(best for ages 3-5)
- Listen & Create: Marble Maze (best for ages 6-11)
- Read & Create: Protect This World Activity Sheet (best for ages 3-5)
- Listen & Create: Sun Clock (best for ages 6-11)
- Read & Create: Out of This World Activity Sheet (best for ages 3-5)
- Listen & Create: Survival Activities (best for
- Read & Create: Explore the World Activity Sheet (best for ages 3-5)
- Listen & Create: Robot Hand Instructions (best for ages 6-11) @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Thank you for your interest in volunteering for the library's Spotlight Crew. We're sorry; we are unable run our Spotlight Crew program this summer.
For more information this summer and all year, sign up for our newsletters, full of featured events for kids and adults, delivered to your inbox every month!